I don’t know about you all, but I am flat-out tired. Four parades in five days is taking its toll on me. However, the kids seem to be thriving under the opportunity to perform. We had some great performances over the past couple days. Last night in Sauk Rapids we saw our color guard come into their own and start selling their show the way we always knew they could. That continued today in St. Cloud. At both parades, “The HERD” placed 4th overall. In each case, we considered this to be our best possible finished, based on the level of competition that we were facing.
For folks that are trying to wrap their brains around the idea of celebrating a 4th place finish, you must understand that every parade we go to is a major tournament at which the best bands in the state gather. We go where the best bands are. Because we keep going where the best competition is, we will rarely get the Grand Champion trophy the way we did in Rogers. FYI…depending on how you crunch the numbers, it looks like we are ranked right around 7th in state right now behind “The 728 Cadets”, “The Mankato 77 Lancers”, “Waconia”, “Park Center”, “Champlin Park” and “Litchfield.” Of course, there are many other great bands that are at our caliber that have also had great performances, and there are a couple that we haven’t even seen yet, but these six and “The HERD” are the only bands to have had multiple scores in the 80’s this summer. (We’ve had 3)
Congratulations to the most recent winners of “The Golden Dinkle”. Erica Hoops from the Sousaphone Section earned the award at Sauk Rapids. At St. Cloud, the winner was Sarah Patterson from the Trombone Section.
Here are the results from yesterday and today.
Sauk Rapids Results
1. 83.2 Champlin Park-1st in Class AAA Best Music, Best Marching, Best General Effect
2. 81.8 Park Center-1st in Class AA Best Color Guard
3. 81.7 Litchfield-2nd in Class AA Best Drumline
4. 80.6 Buffalo-2nd in Class AAA (3rd in Music and Drumline, 4th in Marching, 5th in General Effect, 6th in Colorguard)
5. 77.9 KMS-1st in Class A
6. 77.2 Osseo-3rd in Class AAA
7. 76.4 Benson-2nd in Class A
8. 69.4 Albany-3rd in Class A
9. 68.2 Sartell-3rd in Class AA
10. 67.0 Bertha-Hewitt-4th in Class A
St. Cloud Results
1. 85.6 728 Cadets-1st in AA and Grand Champion-1st in every caption area
2. 84.4 Mankato Lancers-2nd in AA
3. 82.7 Litchfield-1st in A
4. 79.7 Buffalo-3rd in Class AA (4th in Music Execution, 3rd in Marching Execution, 5th in Music Effect, 6th in Visual Effect, 7th in Color guard, 4th in drumline.
5. 78.6 Milaca-2nd in A
6. 77.2 Sauk Rapids-Rice 4th in AA
7. 73.6 STMA-5th in AA
8. 67.9 Virginia-3rd in A
9. 61.0 Foley-4th in A
10. 58.2 Maple Lake-5th in A
We have one parade competition left…Monday in Roseville. Let’s show up to school ready to work hard and get just another click better, because the line-up is just as tough as ever and we owe it to ourselves to show the community of Roseville what great marching musicians we are. Start time is 2:00 at the school. Parade time is 6:15 and we are the 25th unit. We are likely to step off at around 6:45 and finish early enough to go back and watch the last few bands.
See you on Monday.